Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Good morning, readers! This year has been one of several changes. Last fall I took my daughters out of their traditional public school and started homeschooling them through a public charter. It's been quite a learning experience for all of us. I realized that the issues my youngest was having in an over-full classroom had all the signs for ADHD so I recently had her tested and well, she has ADHD. Having an official diagnosis has been relieving in a lot of ways for me. Now, instead of wondering if I'm parenting wrong, I can just let her be who she is and know that for her brain, it's perfectly normal. I'm a huge reader so I've been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding this diagnosis and I've realized that a lot of her struggles are ones that I always had and wouldn't you know, ADHD is genetic. Go figure. I'm still not sure if I'm going to pursue an official diagnosis for myself or not but one thing is certain, I am going to be a lot more forgiving of mine and my daughter's idiosyncrasies. Yes, I spend too much time reading and not enough time cleaning. Yes, I am usually in the middle of several books at the same time. Yes, sometimes we flake out on appointments because in that moment the thought of walking out of the house and joining society is just too much to ask. Yes, I avoid my phone most of the time because I don't feel prepared to handle whatever imagined crises is needing my attention. I admit it I'm not perfect, I'm a bit loony, and although I love to socialize behind the protection of my computer screen, people in real life scare the crap out of me. This blog is me, in all of my imperfections as a mother, wife, reader, and friend. If by sharing my story I can make one person feel normal for a change, then it's all worth it.

Love and Hugs,

Kim

No comments: